Skip to main content

Chapter 1 Spoken English for All

Download 

Chapter 1 

Spoken English for All

A complete Book for all students of English Language


Chapter – 1
The Simple Basics - Starting with the present

Nouns           :           All people, objects, things, elements of nature (sea, air, water, mountains, sun,                rivers, lakes, trees, animals etc.) are nouns.
Pronouns :   I, we, you, he, she, it, they, me, mine, our, ours, yours, theirs, hers are pronouns.
Persons (P) :     I          am speaking to      you              about        his cousin.



                    First person                       second person                      third person



                    who speaks                  to whom one speaks                 who’s being
                                                                                                               spoken about


Plural :               we                      can be singular or plural   can be singular or plural

I           person -     I, we
II          person -     You (singular as well  as plural)
III         person -     He, she, they, it, names of persons, places, animals, things, etc.

            Read these sentences, try to understand patterns of nouns (n), pronouns (p) and               verbs (v) very carefully:

               I                  told                 him   to  come  early.
               P                  V                     P


              We             came              to meet    him.
               P                  V                                   P


              He               told                 you    everything.   
              P                  V                     P


              she         scolded           them    very badly.
               P                 V                     P


              Nandita        told              me the wrong exercise.
               p                  V                    P
Silent ’d’
edge, hedge, wednesday, handkerchief, badge, ledger, lodge, dodge, pledge,drudge, gadget, judge, grudge (’dg’ is pronounced as ’J’ in ’gem’)

               My brother                      Didn’t like                             her   speech.
                      N                                      V                                        P


               They         Have               their   new house in the city.
                  P              V                      P


               It                  Is                    theirs,   not   mine  . 
               P                 V                        P             P


               It                  Is                    theirs,   not   ours .
               P                 V                        P            
after - mine, ours, hers,theirs, yours - nothing isadded.
Have a close look at these contractions (shortened forms)
I am - I’m                    It will - It’ll                   She is - She’s
I will - I’ll                     It has - It’s                  She will - She’ll
I have - I’ve                It would - It’d              She has - She’s
I had  - I’d                   It had - It’d                  She would - She’d
I would - I’d                They are - They’re    She had - She’d
He is - He’s               They have - They’ve            We are - We’re
He will - He’ll                        They will - They’ll     We will - We’ll
He has - He’s                        He would - He’d                   We have - We’ve     
He had - He’d                       They had - They’d    We would - We’d
It is - It’s                      They would - They’d            We had - We’d
                                                You are - You’re                   Who is - Who’s
                                    You will - You’ll                    What is - What’s
                                    You have - You’ve   Who will - Who’ll
                                    You would - You’d   Who would - Who’d
                                    You Had - You’d      That is - That’s         
                                                                        That will - That’ll
                                                                        That would - That’d
Do not - Don’t                                                           Have not - Haven’t
Does not - Doesn’t                                       Had not - Hadn’t
Will not - Won’t                                                         Cannot -  Can’t
Would not - Wouldn’t                                              Must not - Mustn’t
Shall not - Shan’t                                         Need not - Needn’t
Are not - Aren’t                                                         Did not -  Didn’t
Was not - Wasn’t                                          Were not - Weren’t  
Has not  -  Hasn’t


These contractions are for spoken English, in formal English use full forms.

Am, is, are, was, were, have, has, had, do, does, did  - are called the helping words (auxiliaries),with their help, in English, we speak and write, millions of sentences with clarity of sense and context.

Let’s speak some useful sentences with their help, one by one : I’m
            I’m john. I’m 16. I’m a boy. I’m tall. I’m in the school team. I’m a good boy. I’m proud of my parents/school/country. I’m a good player of hockey. I’m in class VI. I’m the monitor of my class . I’m not very rich. I’m rich. I’m  poor. I’m poor in studies. I’m good in studies. I’m very good at Maths. I’m weak in Hindi. I’m the only son of my parents. I’m not a selfish boy. I’m helpful to others. I’m a very good speaker. I’m the chess champion of my school. I’m a good writer. I’m a good reader of hardy boys books.
[ Think of many more sentences like the above ones]
 Questions and Answers:
Mom : Where’re you, John?
John : Mom, I’m in the lawn.
Mom : What’re you doing there?
John : I’m watering the plants.
Mom : Breakfast’s ready, come fast.
John : Mom, I’m just coming.
Mom : You seem to be very happy John, Today.
John : Yes mom, I’m very happy today.
Mom : Are you ready for your exam?
John : Yes, I’m all prepared, I’ve learnt all my lessons.
Dad :  Are you ready, John?
John : Yes, Dad, I’m ready.
Dad :  Aren’t you worried about exam, John?
John : No, Dad, rather I’m confident of doing well, this time.
Mom and Dad : John we’re proud of you.
John : So am I proud of my Mom and Dad.
Answer the following questions:
1.         What’re you doing here?
2.         Where’re you going now?
3.         What’re you writing?
4.         What’re you reading?
5.         What’re you looking at?
6.         What’re you making?
7.         Who you’re talking to? (old use : whom are you talking to ?)
8.         Are you fine?
9.         Are you in the school cricket team?
10.       With whom’re you going out today? (old use) 
            Who’re you going out with, today? (current use)
Q. : What’re you doing? (Now, at present)
Answers:       I’m reading a book.
                        I’m doing my homework.
                        I’m playing cricket with my friends.
                        I’m writing an essay.
                        I’m sitting in the garden.
                        I’m completing my English notes.
                        I’m looking at the picture.
                        I’m talking to my friend.
                        I’m watching TV.
                        I’m watching my favourite programme on TV.
                        I’m lying in the bed.
                        I’m getting ready for the school.
                        I’m getting ready to play cricket.
                        I’m playing chess in the verandah.
                        I’m doing nothing now.
                        I’m listening to music.
                        I’m practising for my school drama.
                        I’m writing a letter to my brother.

Let’s take up  ’IS’ : -
He / she / It / John / My father / My friend / My book  + is
He’s here, mom.
She’s sleeping now.
He’s very upset.
My pen’s lost.
He’s a very good boy.
He’s a very good hockey player.
He’s not a hard working boy.
He’s a very intelligent fellow.
[Now replace ’he’ with ’she’ and speak the same sentences, also making other changes in the sentence, as the gender ’she’ requires.]

IT
It’s very hot here.
It’s very cold in December here.
It’s not good, you’re cheating.
It’s not right, you didn’t tell me.
It’s raining cats and dogs in Bathinda.
It’s your fault, not mine.
It happens twice in a week/ year / month.

It’s a very difficult question.
It means that I’m not in your team.
It’s okay, but don’t make such a mistake again.
It’s done. [ I agree]
It’s such a difficult subject to study.
[It can be used for babies, animals, objects and other non-living things, in the singular]

Now  John / My father / my mother/ my sister / my friend / my dog/ my book / my pen  + is :
John’s a lazy boy.
My father’s a pilot.
My mother’s a teacher
My sister’s a doctor.
My friend Ramesh’s an engineer.
My dog’s very pretty.
My books’ re here somewhere but I’m unable to find it.
My pen’s red.
Questions ??
What type of boy’s John?
What’s your father?
What’s your mother?
What’s your sister?
What’s Ramesh doing?
Is it hot / cold there?
How many times it happens in a year?
What type of question / subject is it?
Whose fault it’s?
Who’s a very good hockey player?
Who’s not good at Maths?
Where’s your father?
Where’s Paramjit?
How’s he now?
Whose pen’s this?
[Hint : answers’re hidden in the previous pages / exercises, but try to apply your own imagination.]

YES or NO
Is he fine now? No, he isn’t.
Is she studying hard? Yes, she’s.
Is Ramesh an engineer? Yes, he’s.
Is your father a manager? No, he isn’t. He’s a pilot.

Is your mom a teacher? Yes, she’s.
Is it hot outside? Yes it’s.     No it isn’t.
Is it very cold here in December? Yes, it’s     No, it isn’t.
Is he cheating? Yes, he’s. He does it always.
Is it raining hard? Yes, it’s raining cats and dogs.     No it isn’t.
Is it done? Yes, it’s.     No it isn’t.

HERE WE ’ARE’ :
We/ You / They / All / People /Students / Boys / Girls / My Friends + are
We’re very happy here.
You’re not very happy here, it seems.
They’re sitting in the garden.
All my friends’re coming to the party today.
People’re not educated at all.
Students’re reading books in the Library.
Many students’re making a noise in the class.
All boys’re studying seriously.
All the girls’re playing badminton.
Girls’re outside the class.
My friends’re very helpful.
My friends like fishing very much.
Our neighbours’re very nice people.

Questions:  -                                           Hints :
Are you happy here?                                  Yes, I’m (if singular)     Yes, we’re (if plural)
Are they sitting?                                           Yes, they’re     No they aren’t
Who’re coming to the party?                     
Who’re not educated?
Who’re reading books in the library?
Who’re making such a noise?
Where’re all the boys?
Where’re the girls?
Are your friends helpful?                           Yes, they’re     No, they aren’t

[Can you think of more such questions or situations.]

He isn’t a good boy.
John’s not a good player of hockey.
Isn’t he a good boy?
Isn’t Ajaydeep a good hockey player?
Yes, he’s.      No, he isn’t.
You aren’t very serious in studies.
They aren’t playing football now.
My friends’re not interested in chess.
Aren’t you serious about your studies?
Yes, I am.       No, I’m not.
Noun/Pronoun + is + not     [isn’t]
Noun/pronoun + are + not   [aren’t]

Q’s      Isn’t                 _________?  Yes______No______
            Aren’t             _________?  Yes______No______
            Aren’t they     _________?  Yes______No______




For Pronunciation

Silent ’u’
guest, guess, guitar, guilty, building, rogue, vogue, vague, tongue, guise, guy, buy, busy, court


Exercise

Basic sentences

Instructions:   The words in these sentences are not in order, study them carefully and try to rearrange them grammatically.  The answers are at the bottom of the page
In these sentences you have to remember that in English we have subject, verb and object.  Then we have where (to the beach), then how (by car) and then when (yesterday).

1)  week. letter a to his writes every parents He

2)  I will school to you tomorrow. walk with

3)  dog me got this He birthday my year. a for

4)  many buy my card. I things with credit

5)  store this some They buy department to furniture new tried the in morning.

6)  at beach weekend. the went He to the

7)  like plane. to holiday on I go by

8)  always work car. by I go to

9)  I to yesterday. went school















 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

                            BOOKLET – 1 (UGC- English)   Objective FACTS (Series 1)    Early Period   (Beginning to Early 1550) ·        ·         Goethe defined literature “the humanization of the whole world” ·        In 450 coming of Saxons to England ·        Bede wrote Ecclesiastical History of the English People in 731 ·        Weimer Classicism is a cultural and literary movement, the movement from 1772 until 1805 involved John Wolfgang von Goethe as German literary writer. ·        His first novel was The Sorrow of Young Werther ·        Anglo-Saxon literature ranges from 7 th to 11 th Centuries. ·        Anglo-Saxons were people who in habitated from Germanic Tribes. Anglo-Saxon periods denote the early settlement of British history until the Norman conquest, between about 450 and 1066. ·        Norman were from Scandinavia ·        Norman defeat the Anglo Saxon King in the battle of Hastings in 1066 ·        Normans brought with them Chornicle
Simon Armitage's Poem - In Praise of Air translated in Hindi - Ravinder Ravi 
Conquering, the height of the hill fills heart with proud and joy that makes life more meaningful. Beautifully, the Mother Nature is embracing her son with utmost care and love that can also be seen in the motherly look of such a mountainous escarpment. Though , the fortune blesses silently to individual , but , fewer does feel and receive the gift so gracefully.  It is true that achieving a goal, such as conquering the height of a hill, can bring a sense of pride and joy to one's heart, making life feel more meaningful. And when we look at the majestic beauty of the natural world, such as a mountainous escarpment, it is easy to see the care and love that Mother Nature has for her creations. However, it is important to remember that the blessings of fortune are not always distributed equally, and not everyone may have the same opportunities or abilities to achieve their goals. It is important to approach these achievements with humility and grace, and to remember that our accompl